Skip to content

Journalists say they’re staying in Egypt despite attacks

August 20, 2013

by 

Supporters of Egypt’s ruling Gen. Abdul-Fattah el-Sisi “have attacked or detained at least a dozen foreign journalists, a vast majority on the same day that an adviser to the president delivered the first diatribe against Western news coverage,” David D. Kirkpatrick writes.

Egypt’s State Information Service complained in a press release about the negative press it received after government forces killed more than 600 peoplewhile clearing protester camps last week. At least three journalists were killed in that violence, and Egyptian forces “raided and shut down the Cairo offices of Al-Jazeera Arabic,” the Committee to Protect Journalists noted.

Officials have said “no visiting journalists would be issued press identifications without prior approval from the intelligence services, a break from long-standing practice,” Joshua Hersh writes.

NPR producer Jonathan A. Blakley tells Richard Prince he’s staying: “Don’t know of anyone who has left Cairo,” he said. Kimberly Adams tells Prince: “I do not know of any American journalists that are planning to leave at this stage. There’s a story going on, after all.”

While writing about how the U.S. administration should refer to events in Egypt, New Yorker Editor David Remnick says “There comes a point when a thing demands its proper name. A coup is a coup. A despot is a despot. And a massacre is a massacre.” Published at the Poynter Institute.

Advertisements

From → News

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s